Improbable Defence, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the war fighter.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness. The team in Arlington, VA is focused on applying our technology to solve real world problems within Government and Industry.
At Improbable, you are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfilment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
As an Engineer on our Customer Team at Improbable, you will enable partner and customer technical success with the SpatialOS platform and other Improbable products. Engineers work closely with our partners and Government customers to design, deploy, and support solutions using SpatialOS that are performant, scalable, and highly available wherever the end user requires.
You will be building and deploying a new class of application, critical to the Improbable Realities vision; significantly enhancing the security of nation states. Your users will be key figures in the US defense and national security communities, and the tooling we build will vastly increase the capabilities for planning and meeting the threats of the modern world.
Areas for Impact
- Using your software experience and a deep understanding of the SpatialOS platform, you will provide partners with the technical expertise, resources and knowledge to successfully launch projects and implement simulation features on SpatialOS. You thrive on solving hard technical problems.
- Lead the technical design phase for new solutions that include Improbable products and customers’ military simulation capabilities. Gain consensus from internal and external stakeholders on the design and architecture.
- Serve as Improbable’s technical point of contact to customers throughout project delivery. Build strong relationships and trust with technical leaders in customer organizations. Identify and communicate technical risks to the project Delivery team; work to resolve potential issues before they arise and set up working groups to solve key challenges.
- Derisk implementations of SpatialOS features for high value customers by working alongside customer engineers for short sprints.
- Onboard and provide ongoing training of customers’ engineers. Build and maintain a library of technical resources for our partners and customers, such as starter projects and technical documentation.
- Communicate customer feedback and issues into the Engineering and Product division and ensure alignment between customer requirements and product roadmap. Draw on your experience and customer interactions to provide input into product direction; work closely with development teams on new features.
- Work closely with the Games Business Unit Partner Engineering team to share expertise and identify, develop, and leverage common resources.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following
- Desire to work in a customer-facing role and be responsible for our customers’ technical success with SpatialOS and other Improbable products.
- Strong software architecture or engineering background, with a related degree such as Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mathematics, or Electrical Engineering.
- Proficiency with programming languages such as C++, C# and Java.
- Familiarity with distributed architectures, cloud infrastructure, gaming and simulation engines, and other technical tools. Experience with military simulation and training capabilities preferred.
- Experience deploying and running production software on AWS and Azure preferred.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively in teams of technical and non-technical individuals.
- Experience and comfort working in a dynamic environment with rapidly changing priorities and extensive interaction with customer engineers.
- Demonstrated ability to perform well in a role with a high degree of autonomy, to prioritize among competing demands, and to continuously learn.
- Willingness and interest to travel as required.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions and lactation), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, age, protected veteran or disabled status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.