Improbable is dedicated to building powerful technology designed to help solve previously impossible problems and enable the creation of new realities. In gaming and entertainment, Improbable unlocks truly next-generation gameplay through virtual worlds of unprecedented scale, persistence and richness. In other industries, we hope to help answer critical questions through simulations that could lead to a better functioning world.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
We are a British technology company proudly building a diverse workforce, driven by a shared desire to improve and achieve extraordinary things. We’re crafting technology for the future and fostering a problem-solving culture that embraces innovation through iteration and experimentation.
As a Software Engineering Intern you will be placed in one of our engineering teams and be mentored by some of our senior engineers. You will be developing large-scale, distributed systems which form parts of our real-time simulation platform.
Interns will be given a challenging project by our Head of Engineering which is best suited to their skills and interests.
Example projects include:
• working with AAA game studios to build new gaming features into our simulation stack
• integrating new engines with our distributed stack -- e.g. physics, navigation, raycasting
• developing new algorithms to distribute and scale our simulations
• developing tooling to understand and reason about large real-time simulations
• low-level performance optimisation & efficiency improvements
• researching new applications of our tech and developing proof of concepts in the government
Interns will also have the opportunity, if desired, to work with our award-winning team on a project that will showcase the disruptive power of our technology and will redefine how simulations are made.
• An excellent academic record to date, ideally coupled with stand out extra-curricular activity and/or internships in a world-class software environment
• Excellent knowledge of multiple programming languages and paradigms (such as Java, C#, C++, Python, Go, Scala etc)
• Growing appreciation for productive software engineering including Testing, Tooling, IDE mastery etc
• Demonstrable interest and passion for development (e.g. personal projects, blogs, Open Source projects etc)
• Algorithmic and data structures knowledge
• An interest in gaming, simulation or distributed systems is, of course, advantageous
N.b. Our internships are always paid.