Improbable builds world-leading simulation technology that helps resolve previously impossible problems. Our technology platforms enable the creation of enormous virtual worlds for training and highly accurate "system of systems” simulations of complex real-world scenarios to facilitate better decision-making.
The Enterprise division of Improbable was formed in 2015. It seeks to create an Optimized World, where simulations of unprecedented scale and complexity provide insights into all of the most important problems faced by businesses and governments. The decisions based on this work will make a safer, more efficient and more prosperous world.
This process is enabled by distributed computation and the abundance of data generated by the digitization of the physical world. We believe that these huge simulations will be the next fundamental technology of our time. You can read more about our story here.
Our US engineering office is located in Arlington, VA
You will be responsible for designing, building and leading the software, tools and systems which underpin our large-scale, real-time, distributed simulations for Federal customers. Overall this team is responsible for providing a production environment and tools so customer simulations can run reliably and at scale. We code in JVM languages, Golang and emphasise clean, reusable code.
Currently we are engaged with a number of high-profile projects including projects that combine our tech with mixed reality hardware, help decision makers understand the effects of disease outbreaks and those that aim to provide a complete infrastructure for the next generation of training. We are experiencing great uptake and are hiring engineers across multiple experience levels.
Responsibilities could include:
- Leading the development of flexible services & tooling so that SpatialOS can rapidly scale across Federal cloud providers
- Building external facing SDK’s, tooling and API’s that allow our customers to fluidly build on our platform
- Designing new systems and tools to allow SpatialOS to run locally, in the field with unique capabilities for syncing and connectivity
- Performance optimisation of our distributed platform for new hardware, local clusters and new customer environments
- Developing a robust set of features that allow third party developers to build, deploy, monitor and analyse their distributed simulations
- Leveraging cutting-edge products including Kubernetes, Prometheus, the CoreOS stack, Docker and more.
- Growing a motivated, high-performing team in our new DC area location
You will work with smart, motivated and curious people, driven by solving globally significant problems across the private and public sector; the kind of problems that keep senior leaders awake at night. We’ve ‘hit the ground running’ and built a team of 15 highly experienced engineers and scientists; now we’re moving onto the next chapter of growth.
You can read about the engineering culture of the division here
- 3+ years experience developing high-quality software; we use Java and JVM technologies but welcome engineers from a range of backgrounds (eg. C#, C++, Golang)
- Demonstrable software engineering skills, with knowledge of multiple languages and paradigms preferred
- Pragmatic, creative and flexible; able to focus on solving important problems through a tight customer feedback loop.
- Clear communicator with independent problem-solving skills. An ability to adapt to different levels of technical understanding.
- Technical ability to contribute meaningfully at all levels of the stack
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions and lactation), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, age, protected veteran or disabled status, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.